Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Alaska Day 17


The Walk Thru The Woods Was Early Morning Fresh
As we got around for a leisurely breakfast, Dwayne invited any or all to join him on a walk back into town to view a video on climbing Mt. McKinley/Denali shown at the Nat.Park Visitor Center. Climbing has fascinated me and become more real to me since reading Wager With the Wind. No one joined me, opting for rest or other activity before we began the day’s flying journey to Denali National Park and Fairbanks. :)

Good Early Morning Sunlight With Few Folks Stirring
So I went alone, enjoying the film and the walk very much. Each of us at times found time and places for solitude along the journey which was a very good thing. This was one of my times. I wish I had a copy of the video, it was so fascinating and informative. Among many other things, I learned that even though there are higher mountains, Denali is considered by climbers as the toughest or most challenging, sort of the holy grail of climbing. There is a climbing season and only so many groups are allowed to attempt the ascent each year after receiving screening and safety briefings from the Park Service who has jurisdiction and attempts as much as possible to look out for the climber’s well being and the mountain’s well being. The ascent is made without supplemental oxygen, and the climbers must take a slower ascent to acclimate to the rare air as they climb and camp on ice and granite, prepared for frequent storms and amazingly strong winds. Many people make it, yet there have been and continue to be fatalities. I’ve come to believe these climbers are some of the worlds most courageous and well conditioned athletes, willingly facing adversity, and fiercely  committed to each other. I can see why it’s the material drama, heroism, ecstasy, and honor are made from. And I can see more clearly why Don Sheldon admired these men and women, and would risk his own life over and over to try and save them when the need arose. I think back to the book and a team of climbers that deeply touched him, young women from Japan.

The Stuff Legends Are Made Of :)
The inspiring film under my belt, rather in my heart, I thanked the park ranger on duty, and headed out for the final walk thru tiny Talkeetna and back to the lodge. It was then I noticed a well marked hiking trail that went toward the river. It couldn't be much farther, I thought, so I joined it and soon, very soon, found myself on the banks of the Susitna River with it’s roar and rushing brown/green glacial waters. But that’s not all! I looked up and there was a breath taking view of Denali, once again in the clear, not obscured by clouds. Wow! This sight and experience had been here all along and we didn't’ know it. We’d probably walked within 200 yards of it at the west end of town a number of times. :) Well it was my day to discover it, and I didn’t want to leave. I noticed a local young man, dressed a bit like a cowboy, sitting on the dirt bank of the river with his legs hanging over the edge, drinking a cup of coffee, and drinking in the amazing scene. I quietly joined him, at some distance so as not to disturb his tranquility and solitude.  I was experiencing my own. And I’ll never forget it.

How Could I Not Take This Trail?

Robert Frost Would Be So Proud... :)
The guys were not in a hurry. None of us had been the whole trip. :) That was one of the beautiful things about it. :) But I started to feel a little guilty for being gone so long, so I left (certainly did not rush away) the awesome sight and started my enjoyable, peaceful amble for the last time through the town, through the white-barked birch woods, and to the lodge.


The guys were packed up, as was I before I left, but just milling around. They were happy for me and my discovery, which heightened all or our anticipation of our morning flight. We asked if someone from the lodge could give us a ride to our airplanes. This was due to our bags, because it was close enough to walk otherwise. One of the servers at the restaurant was just getting off work and volunteered. So we were soon airborne in the usual, enjoyable, methodical fashion and flying north again toward Mt. Denali, and Denali National Park.



Not many US National Parks have their own grass strip to serve aviators, but this one does, in keeping with the uniqueness of Alaska, and it’s fondness for freedom and the utility of airplanes. We made a formation approach and close trail landing at the picturesque strip. We experienced more wind than we expected and were surprised that it shifted to a tail wind upon landing. Which made for a little excitement and a little more fun, as we both rolled toward the end to get stopped. :) We pushed our airplanes back away from the runway, tied them down, and walked across the Alaskan Railway tracks and right into the park entrance. :) Beautiful and amazing. Where can you do something like that in the lower forty-eight? :) To top it off, the train came by for our enjoyable viewing just as we were through securing our planes. :) And did I mention, the train up here between Talkeetna and Denali is a flag service. That is, if you need a ride, you make your way to somewhere along the tracks, and wave a flag at the approaching train. The conductor will see you, stop the train for you to board, and continue the route. What a state! What a country!! :)

This park, and this park headquarters is impressive. There are so many interruptive displays, mounted animals, historical exhibits, etc. that it will fill the most inquisitive persons appetite for knowledge. And, there is a nice restaurant too! Very nice, I will add. :) So lunch was had here after about an hour of looking around and the realization we couldn’t see it all. :)



 We made the short walk back to our airplanes, and were off to Fairbanks, the most northern point of our Alaskan adventure and our home for the night. We flew by an air force base where Ken’s brother Keith was stationed for a year a few years back and took photos in his honor. The terrain and scenery was varied and different from  any we’d experienced to this point as we were leaving the Alaskan Range and flying up the north slope toward the Arctic Circle. Still it was rugged and beautiful with lots of hills, streams, forrest, and lakes. But less forrest than before and more scrub brush and open land. And Fairbanks? There is a lot to say about Fairbanks, but this has gotten too long already, so I’ll cover that perhaps in tomorrow’s departure blog?


Shep found us a hotel. Doug found us a dinner place, but not just any place. It was a genuine Alaskan Salmon Bake, with fresh fish and fixin’s prepared right in front of us, served outdoors on picnic tables under a grove of aspen trees. Are you kidding me? :) Well it was as good as it sounds, and plentiful. :) We caught the same bus back to our hotel, and began the obligatory card games. This was followed by a good night's sleep, and the realization that the Alaskan part of our trip was almost over. Tomorrow we would fly SE, join the ALCAN, and cross into Canada at Beaver Creek, beginning  the long, beautiful road home. But tonight we’re sleeping, and dreaming, north … in Alaska.


Click here for more photos...

Click here for video with music...

No comments:

Post a Comment